Part of the specialty training of a pediatric dentist involves the use of sedation when appropriate. Each child’s case is different and an individualized plan will be presented to you based on your child’s dental needs.
Children who are very young or who have a high level of anxiety that interferes with the cooperation necessary for the dentist to perform treatment may require some level of mild sedation. Mild sedation is also helpful for children with special health care needs.
Mild sedation options available at our pediatric dental office include:
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation (also known as laughing gas)- performed in office.
- General Anesthesia – performed at Mercy Hospital in Iowa City, IA
Non-pharmacologic and anxiety reducing options include:
- Tell-show-do method
It’s important to remember that options for anti-anxiety or mild sedation are dependent on your individual child needs. Not all children are candidates for sedation. The doctor will discuss with you which options may be available based on your child’s dental needs, age, cooperation level and health.
Mild sedation is most helpful for:
- Children who require major dental treatment
- Children with sensory difficulty (sound, vibration, taste and smell)
- Children that have had traumatic dental experiences (sound and smell aversion)
- Extremely anxious child
- Children with a strong gag reflex
- Children who are medically compromised or have special healthcare needsm